Sunday, March 23, 2014

How big is your biggest issue?

How big is the biggest issue in your life right now? It's funny how we always have big issues, if we don't we find small issues our big issues. The previous big issues in my life would have been laughable at this point in time.

So, how big are your "big" issues right now? It's a question most of us in our happy 1st world countries rarely ask ourselves. When we talk about our problems it includes 1st world catastrophies such as "My hot water stopped working", " I had to wait 10 minutes for my coffee this morning" or "My baby woke me up 3 times last night". I'm no different, I've had my fair share of first world problems and can relate to others. Have you ever chimed in at the end of someone recalling a relatively small problem with "It's the worst when that happens"? I've noticed that I do and I'm making a conscious effort to stop.

What's the biggest issue in my life today?  I want my unborn boys to live. I've never had to worry about my children in this way before and now it is dominating every minute of my day. Most of the time the thoughts are positive. 27 weeks is good, right? Well it's better than anything less. These positives thoughts are also partnered with worries. Are my boys going to make it? If they do, are they going to be healthy? How am I going to cope with the addition of twins to the family? Am I going to find time to do the things I enjoy like catching up with friends or playing basketball? Are each of these questions progressively less of an issue?

I'll never forget the night that as we went to bed my wife said "I hope my babies don't die". I'll never forget the nervous wait outside the theatre room as she had a surgery at 18 weeks and 3 days when our medical team had previously told us they prefer to not operate until at least 19 weeks. And I both hope and fear I'll never forget watching my boys being whisked away in to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).

I'm a guy that frequently forgets the date, heck some days I even forget what day it is! Yet every single day for the past 3 months I can tell you the day without hesitation. It's the first thing my brain thinks about in the morning and is in the forefront of my thinking until I go to bed.

Today is 27 weeks and 5 days.

Big issues are happening like this every day but fortunately they don't happen every day in each of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment