Monday, March 31, 2014

TTTS Rollercoaster: An April Fool thinks things are looking safe

Ever ridden on a roller coaster in the dark? Or some sort of action packed water slide in the dark? At the moment, I feel like that's where we are. We're moving slowly and I can't quite work out if there is a gentle meandering pace to the finish line or there are some sudden twists and turns around the corner. I know one thing, my white knuckles have gradually released a bit over the past few weeks. I wouldn't say they match the rest of my skin but they have definitely "pinkened" up a bit.

I've asked our doctors about survival chances at different points along this journey and they have been cagey about it for obvious reasons. Parents in this situation are worried and want certainty in what is an incredibly volatile situation. But recently when I asked about survival one of our doctors let his guard down and the answer was "If they were born tomorrow they would make it". Is that a safe thing to say? Of course not and he quickly added that there are no guarantees and that they would make it provided nothing suddenly went wrong. I understand that opens him up to a "but you said..." conversation if my boys didn't make it but I heard the message that I wanted whilst being realistic (at the moment) to understand how life works. I understand there are no guarantees and I'll be devastated if my boys "beat the odds" now and don't make it but to hear our doctor talk like that felt incredible.

Tomorrow we'll be at 29 weeks which also happens to be April Fools day. I joked to my wife about announcing "Welcome Beavis and Butthead in to the world" or some equally embarrassing names. She quickly pointed out that it wouldn't be funny to make people think our boys had been born at 29 weeks as that was far too early. I completely agree but it's funny that I no longer see that as drastically too early. I've read the stories on different premmie ages "Lil Aussie Prems" website and I know there are still plenty of complications prior to 30 weeks. But at 29 weeks tomorrow with the support of modern day medicine we've reached something of a safer point.

The ground beneath the roller coaster is now covered in soft grass which would no doubt hurt but only temporarily. There is still the occasional rough patch that we could hit but there are a couple of bouncy castles too!

My wife now fits in to her 38 week belly cast from our youngest daughter which means her body is likely to go in to labour sooner rather than later BUT I'm feeling incredibly positive as the days sneak by.

28 weeks and 6 days today.

No comments:

Post a Comment