Thursday, February 6, 2014

The day a toddler saved her little TTTS brothers

Get ready for a very raw post. This all started just after midday and I've just gotten home at 8pm. I'm tired and this will be a pretty basic sequence of events. We got through a bit of a hairpin turn today but that's it for the rollercoaster analogies.

My 2yo daughter might have quite possibly saved the lives of her little brothers today.

Around 1pm today, my wife called me at work as our 2yo daughter, Lilli, had been calling out for "Daddy". We engaged in the typical deep but somewhat one sided conversation that is the staple of toddlers at her age "Hi Daddy...... Hi.........Hi Daaa.....dy........ Buh Bye.....Bye". Afterwards, my wife mentioned that she'd been experiencing some abdominal pain. She was going to call the hospital if it didn't subside by the time she'd eater her lunch.

Being the man in charge, I demanded that she call the hospital immediately. 10 minutes later she had fallen in to line and was calling me back to let me know that the doctors wanted her to go in to hospital. I hurriedly left work and made the 30 minute trip to the hospital to meet her. In the Mother and Fetal Assessment Unit (MFAU) she then hit me with the news that she hadn't felt the boys moving that morning.

A scan revealed the small build up of amniotic fluid seen at our scan 6 days ago had drastically bulged to a dangerous size equivalent to what had prompted laser surgery 3 weeks ago.

From there things happened quickly. Drugs were administered, wife and babies went groggy and by 4pm a needle and tube were inserted in her belly. An hour later she was headed to a ward with just under a litre less fluid in her belly.

Maybe, just maybe, a 2yo saved her unborn little brothers today. The doctors said that my wife was lucky that her body stood up to the excess fluid and if this was her first pregnancy it probably wouldn't have. If we had waited for our weekly scan tomorrow it may have been too late.

My boys have now made it to 21 weeks and 2 days inside their mummy prison. Hopefully the gates are locked tight for a while yet.

PS In regards to my demands and the wife falling in to line. After she hung up from our conversation she considered my request, ate her lunch and then called the hospital as she'd always planned to do :)



No comments:

Post a Comment