Monday, February 17, 2014

Whats the funniest part about having a high risk pregancy?

"What's the funniest part of having a high risk pregnancy?" is a question you are unlikely to ever get asked unless you have really insensitive people around you..............really insensitive (I'm sorry for you). I think the only appropriate way to ask this question is when you can ask it of yourself.

With all the unease and tension during a high risk pregnancy there are bound to be a few moments when your emotions see saw and give you a break by making something slightly amusing absolutely hilarious to you when you accidentally encounter it. To put it in perspective, we're at 23 weeks tomorrow. If my wife went in to labour and the doctors were able to delay our boys would have a chance, but it would be a very minute one. We NEED another 5 weeks but only time will tell if we get it. It's a different sort of tension to our unexpected surgery at 18 weeks and it might seem crazy but it feels just as tough.

So what's funny about the amniotic fluid drain that my wife was rushed in to have 10 days ago. Well, when the doctor was doing the scan of the dire situation he said that if this was my wife's first pregnancy her body might not have held up however her cervix was "rock solid and hadn't budged".
A few hours later when we were in the ward after she'd been given morphine to allow 900ml of fluid to be drained she comes out with

"The doctor said my cervix was rock solid, ROCK SOLID. Yay Cervix! You're my favourite body part of the day!". 

In my mind, I could see a advertising sponsorship "Today's pregnancy saving moment was brought to you by The Cervix, keeping you rock solid when you're pregnancy isn't!" and I lost it. OK, so maybe you had to be there, heck I was there and there's only a half smile on my face as I relive the moment. At the time it was like I'd just watched Dave Chappelle's "I'm Rick James Bitch!" skit for the first time. I think the key was the timing, we'd just gone through another unexpected "must be done today" procedure and the timing of that statement clearly indicated the end of that little saga.

Another funny moment came as a result of my 12yo daughter wanting to know a lot more about the pregnancy. I told her she could ask anything and I would answer truthfully but I wouldn't necessarily give her all the detail. She asked plenty of questions over the next hour and I was comfortable with answering all of them. THEN...........the next evening she had another one that required a forewarning

"Dad, I realise this is a really personal question so like last night you don't have to answer if you don't want to."

I braced for a tough one.

"Do you prefer it when you see people getting hurt in slow motion or in regular speed? You know, slow motion like when you can see their face slowly crinkle after they get hit."

She'd just seen a slow-mo replay on the cricket on TV that triggered the question. It was obviously too personal for me as I couldn't talk for the next minute.

And yes, I am worried that my daughter has already decided that Dad likes watching people get hurt, it was just a matter of preference!

No comments:

Post a Comment